Together, we can set a new standard in sustainable cotton production.
The Trust Protocol was designed to ensure it contributes to the protection and preservation of the planet, using the most sustainable and responsible techniques.
U.S. Cotton Trust Protocol Grower Benefits
- Access to aggregated data to baseline their own operation
- Verified data year-over-year
- Closer communication with their end-use customer
- Insights and best practices from across the industry
- Use of the Trust Protocol logo to market their cotton
- Regular communications of Trust Protocol news and other information
The Trust Protocol is a voluntary program for all U.S. cotton growers.
Verification for Grower Members
Everything begins with our growers who provide farm-level information on six key sustainability metrics. By collecting this data, the Trust Protocol is providing our growers with self-assessment and benchmarking capabilities to identify areas of improvement in their operations.
However, the Trust Protocol also recognizes the importance of verification which serves several purposes including:
- Enabling members to monitor success
- Ensuring the question set remains applicable
- Allowing members to understand any gaps between self-declaration and actual data
- Providing brands and retailers the assurances they need to confidently source U.S. cotton
For verification processes, all grower members will be automatically placed into a producer group based on their growing region.
The Trust Protocol then applies the square root methodology in order to determine the number of second and third-party verifications for that crop year.
The use of second party, or desktop, verification creates a more robust and credible verification cycle and system. Third-party, or onsite visits, are up to a half day visit walking through the farm as well as reviewing any additional paperwork required for the verification of the questionnaire and FPC piece.
If selected, participating in a third-party, independent verification is necessary in order for the grower to be considered in compliance with the program and a Trust Protocol representative will help walk you through the process.
The Trust Protocol’s mission is to bring quantifiable and verifiable goals and measurement to sustainable cotton production which provides brands and retailers with the critical assurances they need to confidently source more U.S. cotton. A successful program is a good for growers and their farming operations and helps ensure a viable market for U.S. cotton.
“The reason we joined the U.S. Cotton Trust Protocol was to show as U.S. cotton producers, we’re growing a good quality product, using the best quality practices available today.”